Author Topic: New EDF powered fast-electric boat project  (Read 11209 times)

Re: New EDF powered fast-electric boat project

« Reply #10 on: 26 October, 2019, 12:34:24 AM »
Open quickbuttons

cybernut

• "blag-it" Forum Higher Member

Male
  • Personal Text
    Certified “blag-it” member
I've not started building it yet, still some other parts to arrive, etc, but did take a few pics of the hull.  Unfortunately I can't find the cable to transfer the pics from the camera to the laptop LOL. ::)  Instead, here's a pic of the battery pack that was in the email confirmation.

It has 8 LiPol cells at 5000 Mah with a 29.6 v rating.
Smartphone?  Why not use that?

« Reply #11 on: 27 October, 2019, 01:00:54 AM »
Open quickbuttons

a.flynn

• Personal Text
I've not started building it yet, still some other parts to arrive, etc, but did take a few pics of the hull.  Unfortunately I can't find the cable to transfer the pics from the camera to the laptop LOL. ::)  Instead, here's a pic of the battery pack that was in the email confirmation.

Believe it or not I don't have a smartphone atm.  Still can't find the camera cable. :(

« Reply #12 on: 28 October, 2019, 04:26:56 PM »
Open quickbuttons

blag-it Admin

• Forum Admin

Male

Believe it or not I don't have a smartphone atm.  Still can't find the camera cable. :(
Maybe it's worth getting a replacement USB cable which don't cost that much...  Hope the build's still going ok though.

« Reply #13 on: 31 October, 2019, 03:47:50 AM »
Open quickbuttons

a.flynn

• Personal Text

Maybe it's worth getting a replacement USB cable which don't cost that much...  Hope the build's still going ok though.
Thought of that o.c except it's not that easy.  It came with a proprietary USB cable with an odd type of connector at one end, can't find a replacement anywhere - even mfrs don't do it any more as camera is discontinued years ago. :P   

As said earlier, still not started the actual build yet as some parts still to arrive or get...

« Reply #14 on: 31 October, 2019, 06:07:17 PM »
Open quickbuttons

blag-it Admin

• Forum Admin

Male
I see the problems, hope you find that cable.  I realise that prob doesn't help much... :-\

Admin

« Reply #15 on: 31 October, 2019, 07:19:16 PM »
Open quickbuttons

blag-it Admin

• Forum Admin

Male
To all concerned with this thread.  I moved this topic to here ('Radio control projects discussion' under the new board 'Hobbies and pastimes') from 'Off-topic discussion' under 'Blag-it lounge' as it was more suited.

Admin

« Reply #16 on: 31 October, 2019, 11:23:01 PM »
Open quickbuttons

MsLeon

Female
  • Personal Text
Great idea for a new board category.  Gratz! :)

« Reply #17 on: 20 November, 2019, 06:14:24 AM »
Open quickbuttons

ATH019

• Global Moderation

Male
  • Personal Text

Maybe it's worth getting a replacement USB cable which don't cost that much...  Hope the build's still going ok though.
Thought of that o.c except it's not that easy.  It came with a proprietary USB cable with an odd type of connector at one end, can't find a replacement anywhere - even mfrs don't do it any more as camera is discontinued years ago. :P 

As said earlier, still not started the actual build yet as some parts still to arrive or get...
Hmm, I see the problems.  An obvious solution I see is to get another basic point-and-shoot digital camera but one that takes a standard USB cable, or a mid-spec smartphone with camera and just take some more pics of the build.  Either can be had now for well under £100/$130 in high-street electronics and mobile phone shops. :D

Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: 21 November, 2019, 11:38:39 AM »
Open quickbuttons

a.flynn

• Personal Text
Nice grooves on a nicely pointed hull there. :)  So happens I've built two fast-electrics so hope some of this helps.  Going by your mock-up diagram it looks like you're going for a flat deck which is a good idea as this will afford some down-force on either side of the canopy and so keep the bow down and reduce bobbing.  However you would need to set the edf slightly further back to prevent pushing the bow down tooo much. :o  For a boat that size you'll need at least a 9cm fan with brushless outrunner that has high rpm and min of 12 LiPol cells; ideally 12cm fan with 18 cells.  For the deck use either fibreglass which I think the hull is, or gel coated styrofoam.
Found out from a few retailers, etc, that I should go for a brushless inrunner, not outrunner (sorry for contradict but that's what I've been told...) and that 8 lipo cells should be enough to begin with.

« Reply #19 on: 21 November, 2019, 11:41:38 AM »
Open quickbuttons

a.flynn

• Personal Text

Hmm, I see the problems.  An obvious solution I see is to get another basic point-and-shoot digital camera but one that takes a standard USB cable, or a mid-spec smartphone with camera and just take some more pics of the build.  Either can be had now for well under £100/$130 in high-street electronics and mobile phone shops. :D

Global Moderator
Thanks, and I agree I'll prob have to get another cheapo camera.