Author Topic: New EDF powered fast-electric boat project  (Read 11209 times)

Re: New EDF powered fast-electric boat project

« Reply #20 on: 29 November, 2019, 12:39:41 PM »
Open quickbuttons

McGaskil

• "blag-it" Forum Higher Member

Male
  • Personal Text
    Certified “blag-it” member
I've not started building it yet, still some other parts to arrive, etc, but did take a few pics of the hull.  Unfortunately I can't find the cable to transfer the pics from the camera to the laptop LOL. ::)  Instead, here's a pic of the battery pack that was in the email confirmation.

It has 8 LiPol cells at 5000 Mah with a 29.6 v rating.
Smartphone?  Why not use that?
Believe it or not I don't have a smartphone atm.  Still can't find the camera cable. :(
Maybe it's worth getting a replacement USB cable which don't cost that much...  Hope the build's still going ok though.
Thought of that o.c except it's not that easy.  It came with a proprietary USB cable with an odd type of connector at one end, can't find a replacement anywhere - even mfrs don't do it any more as camera is discontinued years ago. :P 

As said earlier, still not started the actual build yet as some parts still to arrive or get...
Hmm, I see the problems.  An obvious solution I see is to get another basic point-and-shoot digital camera but one that takes a standard USB cable, or a mid-spec smartphone with camera and just take some more pics of the build.  Either can be had now for well under £100/$130 in high-street electronics and mobile phone shops. :D

Global Moderator
Thanks, and I agree I'll prob have to get another cheapo camera.
Great!  Maybe then we'll see some actual build pics. :-X

« Reply #21 on: 30 November, 2019, 06:07:36 AM »
Open quickbuttons

ATH019

• Global Moderation

Male
  • Personal Text
I've not started building it yet, still some other parts to arrive, etc, but did take a few pics of the hull.  Unfortunately I can't find the cable to transfer the pics from the camera to the laptop LOL. ::)  Instead, here's a pic of the battery pack that was in the email confirmation.

It has 8 LiPol cells at 5000 Mah with a 29.6 v rating.
Smartphone?  Why not use that?
Believe it or not I don't have a smartphone atm.  Still can't find the camera cable. :(
Maybe it's worth getting a replacement USB cable which don't cost that much...  Hope the build's still going ok though.
Thought of that o.c except it's not that easy.  It came with a proprietary USB cable with an odd type of connector at one end, can't find a replacement anywhere - even mfrs don't do it any more as camera is discontinued years ago. :P 

As said earlier, still not started the actual build yet as some parts still to arrive or get...
Hmm, I see the problems.  An obvious solution I see is to get another basic point-and-shoot digital camera but one that takes a standard USB cable, or a mid-spec smartphone with camera and just take some more pics of the build.  Either can be had now for well under £100/$130 in high-street electronics and mobile phone shops. :D

Global Moderator
Thanks, and I agree I'll prob have to get another cheapo camera.
Great!  Maybe then we'll see some actual build pics. :-X
This seems a bit of a 'dig' to me. >:(  I'm sure this topic is genuine...

Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: 19 December, 2019, 08:05:35 AM »
Open quickbuttons

a.flynn

• Personal Text
OK I found the usb cable for my camera! ;D Here's a pic showing more views of the hull, plus the rudder and EDF unit that arrived recently.  Still not started the build yet though as I still need to get other bits like esc, servo and Rx.

« Reply #23 on: 19 December, 2019, 09:53:09 AM »
Open quickbuttons

ATH019

• Global Moderation

Male
  • Personal Text
Gratz!  Glad you found it!  Nice pic as well.

Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: 21 December, 2019, 01:01:57 PM »
Open quickbuttons

a.flynn

• Personal Text
Thanks, and will certainly keep everyone up-to-date with the build as it happens.

« Reply #25 on: 24 December, 2019, 05:54:36 AM »
Open quickbuttons

blag-it Admin

• Forum Admin

Male
Looking forward to it!  Seems like an interesting project, and glad you found that cable!

Admin

« Reply #26 on: 28 January, 2020, 09:32:05 AM »
Open quickbuttons

a.flynn

• Personal Text
Looking forward to it!  Seems like an interesting project, and glad you found that cable!

Admin
Thanks. :)  I've still to order the rudder servo and ESC, oh and the radio, then I'll start putting it all together.  If ppl think I'm dragging this out a bit because of no actual build pics yet; well someone once told me things are often more difficult than they say they are and will take longer than you might think... ::)

« Reply #27 on: 04 February, 2020, 11:08:32 AM »
Open quickbuttons

McGaskil

Male
  • Personal Text

Admin
Thanks. :)  .... If ppl think I'm dragging this out a bit because of no actual build pics yet; well someone once told me things are often more difficult than they say they are and will take longer than you might think... ::)
Certainly true of this thread ;)  Nah, glad you got the cable sorted. :P

« Reply #28 on: 16 May, 2020, 07:51:09 AM »
Open quickbuttons

a.flynn

• Personal Text
Well thank you kindly for that. ;)