Author Topic: Great difficulty finding .onion sites with TOR browser  (Read 1199 times)

Great difficulty finding .onion sites with TOR browser

« on: 22 May, 2021, 09:22:03 AM »
Open quickbuttons

LISTR-93

• "blag-it" Forum Standard Member

Male
  • Personal Text
    Certified “blag-it” member
Having heard so much about the deep web over recent years, I decided to download and install the TOR browser which in and of itself was fairly straight forward, the download was without issue and installation was just a few minutes.  Problem I found though is that almost every .onion site I tried to access either no longer existed, or I didn't have permission to access them.  I must have tried at least four or five different .onion directories but I was getting nowhere.  My conclusion right now is that having the TOR browser is a total waste of time. :-X   Anyone with any ideas on this?

Re: Great difficulty finding .onion sites with TOR browser

« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2021, 09:30:46 AM »
Open quickbuttons

cybernut

• "blag-it" Forum Higher Member

Male
  • Personal Text
There are thousands of onion directories so you must have been unlucky with the four or five you tried, many aren't maintained or updated regularly.  The one's you didn't have permission to access were probably private networks on tor.

« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2021, 04:37:35 AM »
Open quickbuttons

ATH019

• Global Moderation

Male
  • Personal Text
It's also worth mentioning that TOR is not the only network that constitutes the deep-web.  There are others that also allow you to access deep-web content anonymously such as Freenet and I2P.

Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2021, 12:42:10 AM »
Open quickbuttons

LISTR-93

Male
  • Personal Text
There are thousands of onion directories so you must have been unlucky with the four or five you tried, many aren't maintained or updated regularly.  The one's you didn't have permission to access were probably private networks on tor.
Private networks on TOR?  Don't understand, I thought TOR 'The Onion Ring' was a network itself, so you're saying that there are sub networks on TOR?  Bit Noob on this, sry. :P

« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2021, 12:44:49 AM »
Open quickbuttons

LISTR-93

Male
  • Personal Text
It's also worth mentioning that TOR is not the only network that constitutes the deep-web.  There are others that also allow you to access deep-web content anonymously such as Freenet and I2P.

Global Moderator
Thanks, didn't know there were other deep web networks, so good to know. Will have a look.

« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2021, 11:52:53 AM »
Open quickbuttons

cybernut

• "blag-it" Forum Higher Member

Male
  • Personal Text
There are thousands of onion directories so you must have been unlucky with the four or five you tried, many aren't maintained or updated regularly.  The one's you didn't have permission to access were probably private networks on tor.
Private networks on TOR?  Don't understand, I thought TOR 'The Onion Ring' was a network itself, so you're saying that there are sub networks on TOR?  Bit Noob on this, sry. :P
Sort of, yes, in the sense that they're websites held on VPNs, access to which is via invitation only.

« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2021, 08:21:10 AM »
Open quickbuttons

blag-it Admin

• Forum Admin

Male
Still very annoying though for ppl who have installed TOR browser in the understandable belief that this would enable them to access .onion sites.  Should be a prerequisite for those running onion directories to ensure they're maintained and up-to-date.

Admin