Author Topic: How did Germany get spies into US in WW2  (Read 2551 times)

How did Germany get spies into US in WW2

« on: 04 September, 2021, 09:01:09 AM »
Open quickbuttons

LISTR-93

• "blag-it" Forum Standard Member

Male
  • Personal Text
    Certified “blag-it” member
Due to Bletchley Park being able to crack codes by the German enigma machines in WW2, the UK had a good idea as to when and where they were going to land spies.  Interestingly however, I was told by someone recently, that they did manage to get spies in the US without them knowing, but how was this possible?

Re: How did Germany get spies into US in WW2

« Reply #1 on: 04 September, 2021, 10:57:23 AM »
Open quickbuttons

A.Jenery

Digital artist and photographer

Male
  • Personal Text
Various reasons come to mind, such as maybe the US didn't have something similar to Bletchley Park so as to decipher Enigma codes, and because being a much bigger nation would have made it very difficult to monitor all possible points of entry.  Germany also had many 'sympathisers' in the US.

« Reply #2 on: 06 September, 2021, 02:22:23 AM »
Open quickbuttons

a.flynn

• "blag-it" Forum Higher Member
  • Personal Text
Various reasons come to mind, such as maybe the US didn't have something similar to Bletchley Park so as to decipher Enigma codes, and because being a much bigger nation would have made it very difficult to monitor all possible points of entry.  Germany also had many 'sympathisers' in the US.
Probably a combination of all three of these with the last point being the biggest factor.  It would have been relatively easy for US collaborators to smuggle spies in. :-X

« Reply #3 on: 06 September, 2021, 05:36:15 AM »
Open quickbuttons

blag-it Admin

• Forum Admin

Male
Due to Bletchley Park being able to crack codes by the German enigma machines in WW2, the UK had a good idea as to when and where they were going to land spies...
This would only have been true for messages sent and received using enigma machines of course. :-X   Interesting topic though.

Admin

« Reply #4 on: 07 September, 2021, 02:48:06 AM »
Open quickbuttons

Susan.W

• "blag-it" Forum New Member

Female
  • Personal Text
Due to Bletchley Park being able to crack codes by the German enigma machines in WW2, the UK had a good idea as to when and where they were going to land spies.  Interestingly however, I was told by someone recently, that they did manage to get spies in the US without them knowing, but how was this possible?
What?  Really?  Does this someone that told you have first-hand knowledge or is this more like hand-me-down hearsay?  I bet many were caught. :P
Susan.W the midget magician :)

« Reply #5 on: 08 September, 2021, 02:19:28 AM »
Open quickbuttons

LISTR-93

Male
  • Personal Text
What?  Really?  Does this someone that told you have first-hand knowledge or is this more like hand-me-down hearsay?  I bet many were caught. :P
I didn't say no German spies were caught! :P

« Reply #6 on: 09 September, 2021, 09:03:23 AM »
Open quickbuttons

ATH019

• Global Moderation

Male
  • Personal Text
True, you didn't say no German spies were caught but your original post seemed to suggest this, hence Susan.W's observation.

Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: 19 September, 2021, 08:58:40 AM »
Open quickbuttons

LISTR-93

Male
  • Personal Text
True, you didn't say no German spies were caught but your original post seemed to suggest this, hence Susan.W's observation.

Global Moderator
Sorry, disagree.  I didn't say in my o.p that no German spies got into the US, I simply asked how (according to someone that told me) some were able to get in without being caught.

« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2021, 10:41:29 AM »
Open quickbuttons

blag-it Admin

• Forum Admin

Male
This is going round in circles a bit...  Have to err with the g.mod on this one, in that your post did seem to imply that no German spies were caught, and on the same page, one could just as easily say how some were able to get into the UK without being caught, or any other 'allied nation' for that matter.

Admin