Author Topic: What e-book format to go for?  (Read 549 times)

What e-book format to go for?

« on: 19 June, 2020, 08:10:10 PM »
Open quickbuttons

MsLeon

• "blag-it" Forum Standard Member

Female
  • Personal Text
    Certified “blag-it” member
Hi all!  Can anyone help or give advice? :-*   I've finished a manuscript for a novel and want to convert to some sort of e-book format like mobyi or epub?  Or something else?  Which format should I go for and where's a good place I can promote a finished e-book when it's ready?

Re: What e-book format to go for?

« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2020, 10:12:01 AM »
Open quickbuttons

blag-it Admin

• Forum Admin

Male
Hi MsLeon!  You're right, epub and mobi (not mobyi) are two of the most popular eBook formats.  Mobi is the one used by all Kindle readers (Amazon) which can't use epub, and epub can be used on most other devices.
In terms of promoting your eBook/s, Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing is fairly popular.

Admin

« Reply #2 on: 21 June, 2020, 09:52:26 AM »
Open quickbuttons

a.flynn

• Personal Text
More device types are compatible with ePub than mobi but Amazon is the biggest market for ebooks atm.  Convert to both.

« Reply #3 on: 22 June, 2020, 09:30:49 AM »
Open quickbuttons

cybernut

Male
  • Personal Text
I tried amazon's kdp once years ago but found the whole process bit unintuitive and the cover creator was glitchy and awkward.  If you get past all that, you won't find your title listed under last 30 days or recently published. :-X

« Reply #4 on: 22 June, 2020, 08:22:20 PM »
Open quickbuttons

MsLeon

Female
  • Personal Text
Hi MsLeon!  You're right, epub and mobi (not mobyi) are two of the most popular eBook formats.  Mobi is the one used by all Kindle readers (Amazon) which can't use epub, and epub can be used on most other devices.
In terms of promoting your eBook/s, Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing is fairly popular.

Admin
Great!  Thanks for the really useful heads-up. :-*  Sorry for thinking mobyi. :P

« Reply #5 on: 22 June, 2020, 08:24:55 PM »
Open quickbuttons

MsLeon

Female
  • Personal Text
I tried amazon's kdp once years ago but found the whole process bit unintuitive and the cover creator was glitchy and awkward.  If you get past all that, you won't find your title listed under last 30 days or recently published. :-X
Oh c*ap!  What's the point of going through them and how can ppl find your work?

« Reply #6 on: 27 June, 2020, 09:54:53 AM »
Open quickbuttons

cybernut

Male
  • Personal Text
Oh c*ap!  What's the point of going through them and how can ppl find your work?
They offer some sort of advertising promo to appear on their website, but it's not free, so anything you earn from sales is minus the ad fees.

« Reply #7 on: 28 June, 2020, 09:42:58 AM »
Open quickbuttons

McGaskil

Male
  • Personal Text
The cover creator was improved couple of years back, now very easy to use.  As to no promotion of new titles, yea that's still the case and a bit of a sticking point.  But then they're not charging you for creating the ebook or paperback...

« Reply #8 on: 09 July, 2020, 09:40:54 AM »
Open quickbuttons

A.Jenery

Digital artist and photographer
  • "blag-it" Forum New Member

Male
  • Personal Text
The cover creator was improved couple of years back, now very easy to use.  As to no promotion of new titles, yea that's still the case and a bit of a sticking point.  But then they're not charging you for creating the ebook or paperback...
They wouldn't get any takers if they did.  I've used this for a while and personally I'd rather they charged a nominal amount for creating the title and then proactively promoted it without extra charge.

« Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2020, 09:45:00 AM »
Open quickbuttons

and04

• "blag-it" Forum New Member
  • Personal Text
They wouldn't get any takers if they did.  I've used this for a while and personally I'd rather they charged a nominal amount for creating the title and then proactively promoted it without extra charge.
I second that!  It would help 'unknown authors' get that vital step up the ladder.  Established authors on the other hand don't need free promo's.