Author Topic: Windows 10 getting slower and more noisy  (Read 530 times)

Windows 10 getting slower and more noisy

« on: 16 February, 2021, 04:29:29 AM »
Open quickbuttons

and04

• "blag-it" Forum Standard Member
  • Personal Text
    Certified “blag-it” member
When I first installed win10, there were no issues. Hi to all on blag-it.  Initially there were no issues with my Windows 10 installation, but over recent months it's been getting slower and slower and very noisy, like the hard drive is doing overtime!  Now it's at a snail's pace.  I have to wait tens of seconds when I click on something and there's always something, often many things running in the background hogging cpu and memory, etc.
This is not right, it's saying to me that Microsoft techies don't know what they're doing.  If car makers produced cars that worked as badly, they would be out of business due to competition.

Re: Windows 10 getting slower and more noisy

« Reply #1 on: 16 February, 2021, 08:59:32 AM »
Open quickbuttons

ATH019

• Global Moderation

Male
  • Personal Text
I can understand this situation very well, having experienced this with Win 10 myself, indeed most previous incarnations.  There isn't a cure-all solution to this, but things that might help are turning off automatic updates (Win 10 seems to want to run an army of them...) and running disk defragmenter every now and then.  Hope this is of some use. ::)

Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2021, 08:46:35 AM »
Open quickbuttons

McGaskil

Male
  • Personal Text
Disable cortana if it's still running which often phones home and invites all sorts of c**p processes onto your system. :-X   This helped me a lot!

« Reply #3 on: 07 March, 2021, 03:51:40 AM »
Open quickbuttons

LISTR-93

• "blag-it" Forum New Member

Male
  • Personal Text
If you disable Cortana won't that lose some Win 10 functionality?

« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2021, 09:03:31 AM »
Open quickbuttons

blag-it Admin

• Forum Admin

Male
Cortana is a fancy assistant that's been added on, but it doesn't effect Windows 10 core functionality.  I disabled it myself some years ago and this certainly helped with freeing up more systems resources.

Admin

« Reply #5 on: 20 May, 2021, 03:04:08 AM »
Open quickbuttons

a.flynn

• Personal Text
When I first installed win10, there were no issues. Hi to all on blag-it.  Initially there were no issues with my Windows 10 installation, but over recent months it's been getting slower and slower and very noisy, like the hard drive is doing overtime!  Now it's at a snail's pace.  I have to wait tens of seconds when I click on something and there's always something, often many things running in the background hogging cpu and memory, etc.
This is not right, it's saying to me that Microsoft techies don't know what they're doing.  If car makers produced cars that worked as badly, they would be out of business due to competition.
I was getting this all the time, as well as issues with Win 10 recognising plug and play devices that came with installation CDs/DVDs on laptops with no optical drive!!  I had to hunt the internet for original drivers and got no help from windows at all!

« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2021, 09:16:31 AM »
Open quickbuttons

and04

• Personal Text
I can understand this situation very well, having experienced this with Win 10 myself, indeed most previous incarnations.  There isn't a cure-all solution to this, but things that might help are turning off automatic updates (Win 10 seems to want to run an army of them...) and running disk defragmenter every now and then.  Hope this is of some use. ::)

Global Moderator
Turning automatic updates off helped a lot, so thanks for the heads-up. :)

« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2021, 09:19:50 AM »
Open quickbuttons

and04

• Personal Text
Disable cortana if it's still running which often phones home and invites all sorts of c**p processes onto your system. :-X  This helped me a lot!
Didn't know this, I thought disabling cortana would cause stability issues - but it didn't, so thank you!  Win 10 is now working normally again! ;D

« Reply #8 on: 12 June, 2021, 06:38:10 AM »
Open quickbuttons

McGaskil

Male
  • Personal Text
Disable cortana if it's still running which often phones home and invites all sorts of c**p processes onto your system. :-X  This helped me a lot!
Didn't know this, I thought disabling cortana would cause stability issues - but it didn't, so thank you!  Win 10 is now working normally again! ;D
Many win 10 users assumed this, even seasoned techno-files, mainly because you're not told you don't need it.  Great your installation is back to normal again!

« Reply #9 on: 14 June, 2021, 11:40:41 AM »
Open quickbuttons

and04

• Personal Text
Many win 10 users assumed this, even seasoned techno-files, mainly because you're not told you don't need it.  Great your installation is back to normal again!
No, nowhere does it say in the win 10 documentation that you don't need cortana, so very sneaky of M$$!  System's still working fine after disabling it, so thanks once again!