Author Topic: Microsoft can finance the PSO2 localization job  (Read 83 times)

Microsoft can finance the PSO2 localization job

« on: 12 October, 2020, 02:48:13 AM »
Open quickbuttons

wfuuopy

• "blag-it" Forum New Member
  • Personal Text
    Certified “blag-it” member
Hosting and making an MMO is not cheap. Even if the dev work is already done, you still need to Phantasy Star Online 2 Meseta have a translation group, client supportservers and servers to sponsor the match. What happened to SEGA that they needed to cut funding for the localization job? Our first clue is that Atlus was at risk after its parent company filed for bankruptcy back in June of 2013. The enterprise to purchase Atlus was none apart from SEGA. Even with all the firm being held alfoat by SEGA, the business required to make revenue. Cue the milking of hot titles Persona 4 and 3. Irrespective of what actually occurred, we could see that SEGA has been on a downward trend financially over the last ten years.

You can have a look at the printed financial reports for yourself. While PSO2 has been among the most prosperous titles, it does not cost as much to maintain it in JP compared to hiring a new team and setting up new infrastructure to get it localized. It would be a huge threat for SEGA to try and force the match into the west. The need exists, but with all these foreigners already playing the JP servers, SEGA might have become complacent and decided it wasn't required to try and create that push. The failure of the SEA server did not assist with this choice, even when trigger drops upon Asiasoft's poor handling of the game.

We know that the foreign population on the JP servers is tiny compared to the population playing on the NA servers, but hindsight is 20/20. Talking of 2020, input Microsoft. A number of decades ago, Microsoft opens Azure for gambling. While we don't know who , it's very obvious that there was an agreement between the two businesses: Microsoft can finance the PSO2 localization job in exchange for SEGA using and analyzing Microsoft's platform. The rest is now history. SEGA didn't wait because they desired to.

I also heard a rumor that the profits out of Alien Colonial Marines were to assist finance pso2 from the West, but everybody knows what happened to this match. Granted, this is just a rumor, so take it with a grain of salt. Because I'm all for that! Wait ? I thought that game funds were stolen to fund Borderlands rather than that game I heard, that is dumb.

That game is written off as a reduction to Sega. It's a rumor, but Jeff Gertsmann was the person who talked about it, and he is not some random. Granted, he is not super influential in the gaming scene, but he is very much an experienced reporter and match reviewer, even if he is not a journalist; he's a lot of connections. Not long after the announcement of PSO2 to the west back in 2012, alot of downsizing occurred for the western divisions of SEGA, especially SEGA of America. For some time SEGA needed to focus just on a few important franchises in the west, and it was only after SEGA of America was merged to Atlus USA at 2015 that things started to buy PSO2 Meseta get much better.

Re: Microsoft can finance the PSO2 localization job

« Reply #1 on: 13 October, 2020, 09:37:05 AM »
Open quickbuttons

a.flynn

• "blag-it" Forum Standard Member
  • Personal Text
    Certified “blag-it” member
I agree with this, certainly not cheap starting an mmo or mmorpg.  Tried something few years ago with Unity engine and modelling progs like 3Ds Max, and getting funding is not easy either.